08-06-2009

Monster

Price: €1.19, €1.39, €1.49, €2.29, €2.50 (depends on where you get it)
Contains: 0.5L

Let's review the regular version of this kick-ass energy drink brand.

Packaging:
The 500mL can is almost entirely black and the only 'decorations' are logos and nutrition facts.
It has a striking simplicity over it that I really like.
Monster's cool green claw logo is the eyecatcher on this can.
On the top the active ingredients are displayed, seperated from eachother by green plusses.
Underneath the claw logo there's the 'Monster' writing, which is present on all monster cans, and 'Energy' written in green.
I like how everything fits within the three-color scheme (black-green-silver) and the simplicity completes this can.

Slogan:
Monster's slogan is 'Unleash the Beast'.
It sounds cool to me and it fits within the Monster theme.

Taste:
When I poured this drink into a glass I noticed the classic caramel color (maybe a bit lighter, but I don't know for sure because I was stupid enough to pour it into a blue-tainted glass) and it had a small layer of foam on the top.
Even from the smell I could already judge that the drink would be very sweet.
I was right, when I took the first sip the first thing I noticed was the sweetness of the drink.
It does not taste like any other energy drink I've tasted so far (aside from the other Monsters).
The drink has it own unique taste and it certainly does not go with the flow by trying to taste like a Red Bull.
It's also subtally carbonated, but though it's kept subtle you'll still belch loudly after 4 sips in a row.
Sadly, I think it's the combination of the carbonation and the large amount of fluid that makes you feel sick when you're having more than one can.
But still, this drink really is something different, in a positive way.

Kick:
Monster never seems to disappoint me when it comes to the buzz.
The drink certainly gets me up in the morning and gives a nice, constant amount of energy.
I think it's the guarana that does the trick; you feel energy, but it's subtle so you will not act hyperactive or something.


Price/Quality Ratio:
As you can read on the top of this review the variety of prices for Monster is rather big.
The most common price is €1.49, and that's fine with me, since the drink lives up to the price.